For 2009, we decided to add another day to the event so the weekend doesn’t seem so rushed for people driving long distances. Everything now goes from Thursday through to Sunday.
Other highlights of the event include:
- 3 nights' accommodation at Snug Haven Resort
- Four days of on-water instruction. Topics include: Dealing with Waves and Rocks, Rolling and Bracing, Towing and Rescues and Rough Water Boat Handling
- Paddle with some of Ontario's best sea kayak instructors
- Free Stormy Saturday Night Supper
- 44th Annual Snug Harbour Dock Launch Competition
- Organized day trips to Red Rock, Snake Islands and the West Coast of Franklin Island
- Evening guest speakers
- Stand-up Paddling Demo's
Last year was extremely successful and the event sold out early so get on it now if you were thinking of attending. There is an early bird registration price if you register by October 1.
How did it all get started you might ask? Well, let me tell you a tale. A couple of years ago I was lamenting with some paddling friends of mine that there really was nothing out there that was organized for intermediate paddlers in our area. It seemed to us that all the local symposiums were really aimed towards beginners and there was a need for a more advanced skills focused event. Of course there were legendary events up in Northern Ontario like the Gales of November and the Surfing Superior Confluence (which is an awesome event you need to also get to) but we wanted something in our own backyard so we decided to do it ourselves and that’s the end of my story… Thank you, thank you. [insert applause here]
Below is a small preview of people fooling around at the 2008 Gathering.
More info: Georgian Bay Storm Gathering