We have a guest post! Friend of the site, Christopher Lockyer submitted this report on the 2011 Atlantic Paddling Symposium which took place a couple of weekends ago.
Christopher Lockyer and the committee for the 2011 knocked it out of the park this year. 28 world-class coaches lead 120 paddlers at the three-day event, held from May 20 to 23, 2011 near Terra Nova,
Highlights of the fourth annual event, which featured sessions for canoeists and white water kayakers and sea kayaks, included:
- Mark Scriver teaching solo canoe sessions in white water and then hitting the sea to help run a rock hopping session
- Canoe Poling with Kevin Silliker, the master of the pole
- Mark Scriver leading solo canoe session on white water
- Maligiaq Paddilla, world Greenland rolling champion, teaching
Greenlandrolling and paddling techniques
- Brenna Kelly leading paddlers down some of the most challenging white water
has to offer Newfoundland
- Christopher Lockyer leading two dynamic rock hopping sessions, one in 20 knot winds and 3-meter swells
- Kevin Callan sharing tips and tricks about enjoying the outdoors
- Loads of stokes and skill development sessions
- And Matt Nelson working with students on incident management
Pictures from this year’s event can be found at http://www.atlanticpaddlesymposium.com/Atlantic_Paddle_Symposium/Gallery/Gallery.html
The always entertaining Kevin Callan gave a great presentation on why we go on canoe trips, and Maligiaq Paddilla showed some great videos from
Sponsors included Paddle Canada, Kayak Newfoundland and Labrador, Canoe Kayak Nova Scotia, Canoe Kayak New Brunswick, Thumblehome recreational canoe club and Simply for Life. Visit out site to see a full list of sponsors.
Many thanks go out to Capital Subaru from St John’s, without the use of the three 2011 Subaru foresters we would have had a hard time getting our coaches to and from the airport in St John’s.
The volunteers and coaches included Matthew Nelson, Craig Burden, Alan Stanley, Birgit Kuhle, Blair Doyle, Brenna Kelly, Craig Moores, Corey Locke, David Johnston, Graham Ketcheson, Jim Price, Kevin Callan, Kevin Redmond, Kevin Silliker, Tim White, Mike Smith, Mark Scriver, Monica Lynns, Richard Alexander, Rick Wise, Rob Lemmon, Susan Vokey, Amanda Harrington, Melissa Hickey, Steve Noel, and David Saunders.
Planning for the fifth annual Atlantic Paddling Symposium, to be held in
Submitted by Christopher Lockyer www.committed2thecore.com
Regional representative for Kokatat water wear,
Photo credit: Sarah Lefergu